Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One Thing I Never Told Anyone . . . I Think

I was ten at the time. Or maybe eleven, I'm not quite sure. It was Friday night and there was a weekly religious talk going on at my village's musolla (a building smaller than a mosque where Muslims pray). As usual, my mom was coercing her sons to attend the activity. I was a naughty boy at heart but I respected elders especially my parents. So I went to the talk.

I went in and sat at the furthest corner nearest to the exit. The talk commenced and as usual, I was sleepy in less than ten minutes. I stretched but still feeling sleepy, so I went out from musolla for some fresh air. I saw some friends sitting on the musolla's wall, chit chatting about cartoons and other TV programmes. They waved at me and I went to them.

The musolla was ornamented with fairylights-like bulbs. And I sat right under one that has no glass bulb, with its filament exposed. I joined in the crappy conversation with my friends and I had my hands in my pockets. After a while, my friends left and I sat alone waiting for the talk to end so that I could sneak in and pretend as if I joined in and listened the whole talk. While waiting, I observed the bulbless light with curiosity. How these incandescent lights work? What the filaments are for? And without realising, I reached out and touched the exposed filament and ZAP! It was pitch black for me for one or two seconds and when I came to my senses, I realised that all the fairy lights were not working anymore. I jumped off the wall and went to the ablution facility when an adult came out to check the lights. He saw me and looked away to check the lights. He never expected me to have something to do with the lights' failure (and I know he never knew until today).

Well, that is the one thing I don't tell many people. I was zapped by God-knows how many watts of electricity and caused all the lights to malfunction. And I lived and still is living to see the sun shines. Ehehe~

No comments: