Tuesday, June 29, 2010

To Decide Is No Easy

In the name Allah, Most Just.


All through my short life so far, I learnt that making decision is not as difficult.

Because it is part and parcel of all living things given the power to think by their Almighty Creator, Allah 'Azza wa Jalla.

Yes, because we are all humans and we make a lot of subtle and unimportant decisions almost every hour, and a few important and life-changing decisions almost every day.

But making decision is no easy task when it involves other people as well.

Who knows when one becomes unjust in the decision-making?

"O ye who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be Just; that is next to Piety, and fear Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do."
[al-Maidah 5:8]

The Holy Quran reminds us not to let our decision be clouded with hatred and wrath as it will divert us from justice. Because vengeance lurks very closely in the depths of hatred and wrath.

But I think, Allah is telling us something even more than what is written in the Scripture. Because with the Holy Quran, there are always meanings need to be read between the lines. Because the speech of God (Kalaamullah) is too beautiful, it has many layers of meaning unfathomable to those who do not think.

I'm not saying I'm wise or anything, but this is my opinion:

The verse above meant to hint us not to make decision or pass on judgement when we are emotional.

By emotional, I do not only mean negative emotions such as ones listed in the verse - hatred and anger and other negative emotions such as jealousy and pride. But I also meant positive emotions: Euphoria for example. Simply because, when one is euphoric one tends to see the world from rose-coloured glasses.

In other words, too strong of emotions can divert us from being just.

The best (I reckon) decision-making should allow some room for benefit of the doubt, lest one cannot foresee what worst consequence one might have to face.

 
To be just is a responsibility

That makes me thinking: Have I been just in my decisions?



"O Allah, the Refuge of those who seek it! Keep me safe from things I'm afraid of, and keep me safe from being unjust in my decisions."

No comments: