Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Deep(er) Conversations

I love deep and meaningful conversations. Because I can learn about a lot of things and about myself from them.

And I had two yesterday - one with R and another one with Z.

I'll share some here.


Conversation with R

I was in R's room. We talked about many things. About people, about our life principles, and about marriage. We revisited our short discussion on YM about early marriage and continued with theme marriage on general.

R: I told my mom I'll find a girl she likes. The girl doesn't have to be my type whatsoever. So long as my mom's happy.
Me: Ohoho~ Good son.
R: How about you?
Me: My mom doesn't mind much. She only told me to find a good girl I can be happy with and she wears scarf. Sounds easy eh?
R: Kinda.
Me: [laugh]
R: Why you wanna marry early?
Me: Hey, that is only if I have a wife candidate!
R: Don't you have one?
Me: [silent]
R: [laugh]
Me: You see, I've been in a relationship once. And I somewhat feel that something is lacking somewhere.
R: Sinful?
Me: That's one of it. But I feel deep inside that couple isn't my thing. Uncomfortable. That's why, when I have a girl I like and she likes me too, I wanna ask her hand in marriage. Get engaged, then marry her.
R: But don't you already have a girl you like?
Me: Sheesh . . . shut up! Damn you.
R: [laugh] I hope she likes you too. And I pray you both are destined to be together, get married and will live happily.
Me: I pray you'll find the girl that can "shake" your heart very soon!
R: Ameen to both.



Conversation with Z

We started with jumping from one topic to another, revolving about one person whose name I will not mention here. And then we talked about how people can be so different.

Me: You see, I'm not as open as some people think. I'm pretty shy. I take time to trust people but when I do, I'll care and concern very much about them. That's how things work with me.
Z: Are all guys like that?
Me: [laugh] Guys, like girls, are different from one individual to another. Some are very introvert, some are more extrovert. Try put them on a continuum [took a pencil]. Take this end [utmost left] as the most shy of people. D (our friend who is widely known as very shy) is here and you are somewhat more to the right.
Z: Are you insinuating that I'm not shy?
Me: No, no, no. I mean you're a bit of both. You're shy but you can be loud and warm with people you know. Like me. Now, we can put M here [the utmost right end]. She's most extrovert here, she likes to social.
Z: But she's not gedik.
Me: No, she's not [laugh].
Z: Yeah, I got it.
Then we jumped to a topic about life partners.
Z: You know, some of my friends (read: girls) complaints that nobody likes them. That they can't find a suitable candidate for life partner.
Me: [laugh] Wanna know what I think?
Z: What?
Me: They haven't tried. That, actually, is their problem.
Z: You mean?
Me: We like to talk about "God doesn't help those who don't help themselves" but do we actually apply it in our lives? I think, both men and women need to put effort to find their life partner. Do you agree about women should just wait for their destined soulmate to find them?
Z: [indifference] Hurm . . .
Me: I think that's bullshit. Allah doesn't help us if we don't help ourselves, remember? This is just my opinion: Everyone should put some effort to find life partner. Okay, don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying girls should go and flirt with guys. Na-ah. That's not what I meant.
Z: Then?
Me: I meant that everyone should do something if they want something, so long it doesn't disagree with our religion. Not all guys are extrovert, remember?
Z: Yeah.
Me: I remember walking down a street, saw two Malaysian girls beautifully scarfed. I smiled at them but they looked away. My intention was to greet them, not wooing them. But you see, things like this turns off introvert guys like me. Now let's get back to the context we were talking about: Girls should put some efforts too. As I emphasised, I didn't mean "flirt" when I said "putting some efforts". But in situations like I mentioned, can't those girls just smile back? We are not in some kind of Hollywood movies where the guys are so charming and confident with girls. We are talking about reality.
Z: So what if the girls smile back? Is there any difference at all?
Me: I'm a guy, my friend. There is a big difference there. When you return a smile, or greet back when greeted; you are actually helping yourself there. By returning smiles or greeting back, you sends a signal to guys that you're approachable. Introverts usually read body language well because they aren't good with verbals.
Z: Owh, really?
Me: I'd say, yes.




Note: I reconstructed some parts of the conversation, omitted some names and turned its content into a more suitable read for public. If I write exactly as the original conversation, there will be more craps to read than the intended contents. Ahaha~

8 comments:

budak kecik~ said...

so kan in ur opinion,as a guy xpe erh if pmpuan yg approach..? xkn dilabel gedik ke nnt..? juz wondering..sy bdk2 br blaja.. ha3..
heeee~

hafiz CHouJi said...

Yup, that's what I think.

But you know, that's the problem with our society - they like to label. Nothing we do can satisfy everyone. So, do things you're satisfied with and permissible by Islam.

About approaching guys, there's no wrong to it. Guys like approachable girls. For introvert guys, that is one big obstacle taken down. But keep this in mind: Know your limit. By that, I mean these:
1) Don't transgress what God forbids.
2) Remember that guys, no matter how introvert they are, have ego. You can approach first, but let them make "the move".
3) Don't be too open with everyone. If a person smiles to you, return the smile. But don't go overboard - this is when you'll get labelled as gedik.

Well, these are just my opinion though. It is not generalisable to every guy, but somewhat can be a rough guideline to know guys. Hee~

~p/s: Thanks for your comment!

mimiqt said...

well well chouji. why do i feel "M" refers to me eyh..

and i think i know every single person in ur stories. shhhhh...

regardless of who they are,you got a strong points there.

let's "ballading" sometimes later k!

Mrs. H said...

i agree with u.our society like to label ppl without knowing a single thing of why a person do such things.
and erm..there's no such word as gedik if u know ur limit. that's sooooo ryte..

p/s: a good post.loike it!!

NDMK said...

salam hafiz.

i also think that i know every person in ur stories (just plagiarising from Mimi).It's not that hard to guess.:D

hafiz CHouJi said...

Mimi:
I'm not saying "Yes" nor will I deny it. Let's leave them as R, Z, D and M eh? Ahaha~

Yeah, let's "ballading" sometimes later.

Keyna:
Thanks for your comment.

It is true that we should do as we think it right. But societal rules should not be left behind. Even Islam deemed culture as one of the guidelines to set rules ('uruf).

Dyana:
Well, it is obvious for those who know. But I guess it is best to not name them. Hee~

sameon said...

ok2 i dunno why but i feel a need to defend the 2 girls. (i thk i did it before haha!) its an automatic reflex that we-malaysian girls in particular- have learned based on past experiences that when a guy smiles at you, he is up to something.. not good.lol. thats what the society taught us. so dont be too offended by that experience k. they were just surprised, i guess. ehe. n i also hope that u wont stop smiling to other girls/guys/whoever that u come across. :)

oh n did i mention that i like ur post? refreshing.. buat la lagi conversations camni. hehe

hafiz CHouJi said...

First of all, thanks so much for your comment. Though you comment anonymously, I somewhat think I know you. But let's just keep things as it is?

Referring to your comment, I understand that reflex well and that is the very thing I was criticising - that we need to be critical in what we do, rather than just follow blindly what we were taught.

In my opinion, we should act accordingly to what context we are in. Like the saying goes, "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Not to say to be exactly like them, but act accordingly.

~p/s: InsyaAllah, I'll continue smiling to everyone. Hee~