Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Pandemic

Api: Hafiz, where goes the tea towels?
Me: Not sure. Maybe you forgot to take them from office?
Api: No. I left the tea towels in the drawer yesterday so that I can use them again today.
Me: Owh. Then I guess they'd taken away those tea towels and chuck them out into the bins.
Api: Why would they do that?
Me: You weren't there when Naville explained about the precautions City Council is taking to prevent swine flu, now did you?
Api: [grin]
Me: [laugh] You see, the Wellington City is taking the precautions to prevent swine flu cases here. For that, they are replacing all towels in toilets and tea towels in kitchens with paper towels. They want to stop the spread of flu germs from toilets and kitchens.


Yes, this is based from a real conversation between me and Api (remember him? My co-worker at Wellington City Council who asked question about money. Click here if you don't remember~ *wink*).

Okay, what I was telling Api is for real. The Wellington City Council is going to that extent to prevent swine flu. They readily spent a lot of many to uninstall the old towel facilities in each toilet with new facilities using paper towels. Using paper towels mean there will be more rubbish made which will cause them more to dispose of the waste. But I don't blame them to be that paranoid and cautious over such pandemics. Swine flu has threatened many other neighbouring countries such as Japan, and it is acceptable that Kiwis are afraid of swine flu too though the cases reported here was deemed "light" cases. Isn't prevention has been proven to better than curing?

But what I'd like to share here is Api's response over my explanation. Here goes.


Api: I'm not afraid of swine flu. I think these people (referring back to City Council people) are too paranoid. I think if the higher-ups [pointing his index finger heavenward] want us to get swine flu, we'll get it no matter what we do to prevent it.


You see, Api got a point there. If God decides something, that thing will happen. Even a Samoan like him who believes in animism and their dead ancestors understand that, though through from his own context of belief.

My point here is, we should not get panicked over thing like swine flu pandemics. We should feel a bit worry as that can make us more aware of any danger or hazard and hence, try to prevent them as best we could. But we should not forget to pray to God for protection too. He knows best and has power over everything.


"O Allah! I beseech Thy protection from this swine flu pandemics and any other unseen evils you have sent upon us."


~p/s: I said we should try to prevent too, now didn't I? Here is what I'd do to prevent swine flu! Hee~


*The mask is inspired by Yusman*

3 comments:

Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Z said...

it's good to accept what's fated, but also at the same try, try to pave your own way as much as you possibly can. however, that's because we believe in fate, in a higher power. we have faith, but not many people do. nz's got quite a large population of atheists, after all, so all they could do is try to prevent it as much as humanly possible. :)

hafiz CHouJi said...

Yup, true indeed.

But some people get easily panicked. No thanks to the media.

Anyway, my entry was intended to remind myself and other Muslim friends as well as other friends who believe in their own God to never stop praying for protection while at the same time doing their best to prevent this swine flu.