Friday, July 3, 2009

I Must Write . . . Something

Away from home for a week on a trip full of fun and laughter left very little time and space for me to "internalise" things happened around me to ponder and to reflect about things around me and about myself. That, somewhat, has made my writing muscles loose and rusty.

Yes, I'm lazy to write about anything at all at the moment. Nope, I'm not gonna write an entry about my holiday trip. It was a wonderful trip with wonderful people but not now. I don't feel like telling it yet.

But I kind of have this urge to write. I feel as if there is something missing each day when I don't write anything at all for a day. Philip Pullman (is the writer of His Dark Matters trilogy which was made in movie titled The Golden Compass) said that a good writer must write at least one page a day, no matter what crap it is he is writing. Guess I'm "implicitly" following his advice? Ahaha~ Perhaps.

Actually, I AM writing something. A script for a play. Just for fun, and it is too far from complete. But this blog seemed to be wailing for an update. SO. As always, when I have no idea what to write for an entry, I'll browse through my "magic folder" for something and I found an interesting story. I forgot where I got it (I know I should have recorded the link, so reminder to self: do that next time) but I will share it with everyone. Here goes:


STRENGTH FROM ADVERSITY

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared, he sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole.

Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could and it could go no farther.

Then the man decided to help the butterfly, so he took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It was never able to fly.

What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our life. If God allowed us to go through our life without any obstacles it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. And we could never fly.





Wasn't it a good read?

May these be a good reminder to everyone and especially to myself:

1) With every adversity, we become a bit stronger. When we successfully managed to overcome an obstacle and solve a problem, we learn something new and we gain valuable experiences.

2) Facing adversities is like a self-evaluation. It is a good test of our own character. For example, some people look calm and collected but when facing adversities, they panicked and swore etc., etc. As the saying goes,
Character, like tea, reveals its strength in hot water.
SO. If we found out that our true character is not strong, then improve whatever there is lacking.

3) We should not easily give up hope or give in to adversities. We should always try harder and harder each time while at the same time praying for help from the Higher Power, which is God. Look at this advice below:




. . . whoa. Never thought a no-idea start will end up this long.

No comments: