Saturday, May 29, 2010

Book Review: 1

In the name of Allah, Most Knowledgeable.


I have this urge to write but my mind is in a state which it cannot think too critically because at the moment, I am reading quite a heavy book entitled "The Bible, the Qur'an and Science" by Maurice Bucaille. But this is not the book I will write a review about.

I will write about a book worth reading, which I have finished reading about a month ago.

-----o-----


Title: The Power of Healthy Thinking to Change Your Attitude and Your Life
Author: Dr Tom Mulholland (NZ TV's Attitude Doctor)
Pages: 160
Publisher: Reed Publishing (NZ) Ltd.
Website: www.theattitudedoctor.com



This book is awesome. Try and read it!

. . . okay. That is not how a book review should be written, no? Ahaha. Now, let me be a bit serious. Yes, just a bit serious.


This book is Dr. Mulholland's second book after his first popular piece Healthy Thinking: Turning Life's Lemons into Lemonade. This is not a continuation from the first book, hence it can be read as a separate piece of reading.

Ask yourself these questions: Do you often feel stressed, angry and frustrated in your daily life? If you answer "yes" or "maybe", well, this one book is my recommended piece of reading for you. Even if you answer "no", I will still recommend this for your reading collection.

Simply because:

This book was written in simple English and can be easily understood. Why people generally like gossips? Because they like to stick their noses into other people's affairs and to know other people's "stories". Yes, other people's stories are THAT interesting, that is why Dr. Mulholland wrote this book from his point of view based from his own experience in order to help his readers eliminate all the aforementioned negative emotions (and some others) simply by replacing negative thoughts with positive ones. Yes, it is the power of attitude!

To enable him doing that, Dr. Mulholland first identified 10 different types of "thinkers" in Chapter 2. These types of thinkers such as The Judge, The Fortune Teller and The Generaliser, are what caused us to think negatively. In other words, they are the "bad attitudes" (this is my own phrase. Ehehe). For each negative thinkers, Dr. Mulhollad introduced a positive thinker to replace the negative one, such as The Rationalist to replace The Distorter. Personally, it was surprising that I myself have a number of these "bad attitudes" and thanks to Dr. Mulholland, I'm trying to change them.

While reading through, Dr. Mulholland will introduce his tool to change attitude which he called the Emotional Algebra. Sounds interesting enough? It was interesting for me, though.

What is emotion? According to Dr. Mulhollad, emotion is caused by thoughts plus trigger(s). Therefore, to be able to think positively,

Thought + Trigger = Emotion,

hence

Emotion - Trigger = Thought

Interesting, isn't it? Then, the author will show how to apply this Emotional Algebra in one's daily life by relating the equation to the identified thinkers revealed earlier. Well, there are a number of other equations (I think there two more!) but I won't give any more spoilers. Enough said.

If you think this book is interesting, then get one! Yes, I do not receive any royalty or payment for recommending this book. Simply because, I think this one is really, a good read. So yes, happy reading! :')



*monologue to myself*
Go Chouji! You need to use the Emotional Algebra to snap out of whatever negative thoughts you are having in your head at the moment. Allah does not help those who only pray without first try to help themselves, now, remember?








"O Allah! To You belong all wisdom and You are the Most Knowledgeable. Bless us with sharp mind to seek the truth and clear our chests from any difficulties to receive knowledge. Ameen."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam hafiz,

Wow, I'm so surprised as you're now reading "The Bible, the Qur'an and Science" by Maurice Bucaille. I bought the same book last year but I still haven't got a chance to go through it (plus, it's really 'heavy' for me to digest).

Such a nice review! But really, it's not that easy to set a positive thinking. Me, myself, find it hard to keep telling myself to remain positive all the time. But it is worth trying aye?

hafiz CHouJi said...

Salam Dyana.

Thanks for reading this book review. To think positively is as difficult as to purify the heart. That being said, we must know that both are process with which we can never attain perfection and must always try to improvise ourselves. So all the best eh?

I have been long interested in comparative religion especially the three cousins (Judaism, Christianity and Islam and especially when they are reviewed in the light of scientific findings) and for that reason especially, Bucaille's book is really interesting. It digs deep into the Bible's line of history and origination and bit by bit being compared to scientific findings. Though I heard comments saying he was bias and the method he used was unacceptable, so far I think he has been neutral enough yet critical in his writing.

Perhaps, I will read Harun Yahya's book when I finished Bucaille's. :')