Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Teacher's Day!

May 16th. If asked, people will say it's Teacher's Day! To me, Teacher's Day is every day just like Mother's Day or Father's Day or whatever day we celebrate for people we want to celebrate. Some people only show appreciation on the day. Other days? Hell like they'd care. My opinion is, the specific day appointed is just another day to show our appreciation and perhaps, do more than what we usually do.

As for that, I want to wish everyone and anyone at all, who has taught me even the littlest things meaningful. And specifically to my parents - the best of teachers I've ever had, and to madame Noor Aida Ahmad whom without her, I may not in love with English language as I am today. And to all other teachers who had taught me in kindergarten, SKTG, and SMAI. And to miss Husna (wait, shouldn't I call her MADAM Husna now? Hee~) who tirelessly answered my questions about TESL course back when I was stuck in KMPk. Not forgetting all lecturers in IPBA - especially Dr Lawrence Aeria who made me in love with psychology, and Dr Rajagopal who made me appreciate life, and madam Fazlinah who showed me that linguistics can be fun and helped me out a lot with B.Ed. admins stuffs, and madam Jun who made me love grammar, and madam Sri Wahyuni who encouraged my shy start to be outspoken, and Dr Raja Mazuin who taught the subject sociology I didn't like with love and passion, and madam Maimon who was passionate about literature - I love you all. And all Vic lecturers who had taught and have been teaching me with patience and passion - Paul Nation, Alistair Ker, Anette Klassen, Chris Bowden, John Macalister, Averil Coxhead, Peter Gu and Sandy Hall especially - I have learnt a lot from you.

I may have left out some names but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. Every iota of my knowledge is thanks to you. YOU ARE ALL MY TEACHER, in this school called life. Here's a poem I love so much, and I meant to dedicate it to you. Yes, YOU, my teacher. *takes off hat and bows*


The Builder

A Builder built a temple,
He wrought it with grace and skill;
Pillars and groins and arches
All fashioned to work his will.
Men said, as they saw its beauty,
"It shall never know decay;
Great is thy skill, O Builder!
Thy fame shall endure for aye."

A Teacher built a temple
With loving and infinite care,
Planning each arch with patience,
Laying each stone with prayer.
None praised her unceasing efforts,
None knew of her wondrous plan,
For the temple the Teacher built
Was unseen by the eyes of man.

Gone is the Builder's temple,
Crumpled into the dust;
Low lies each stately pillar,
Food for consuming rust,
But the temple the Teacher built
Will last while ages roll,
For that beautiful unseen temple
Was a child's immortal soul.

~Hattie Vose Hall



Thank you for that every iota of knowledge you taught me.

1 comment:

Mohit V said...

Really nice poem...i was looking for it for a long time.