Monday, May 18, 2009

Senyum Seindah Suria

They say, a smile is a curve that set everything straight. Perhaps it's true, though there are situations when the curve made straight things twisted. Get what I meant? Ah, never mind that.

By the way, on the way back home from ALIN301 lecture today I came across a fair-looking, golden-haired Kiwi girl, shivering in her thick hooded windbreaker. I didn't know her nor did she know me, I believe. But from afar, I noticed she wanted to throw a smile to me but was rather hesitated. Seeing that, I smiled at her and when we were exactly shoulder to shoulder, she smiled back at me. Okay, I exaggerated a bit there. Not exactly when shoulder to shoulder did she smile back but when she were about half a metre from me. I exaggerated to create an elusive atmosphere. Sorry about that.

Okay, what I was trying to write here is about the power of a smile. In previous entry, I wrote about innocent and sincere smiles from children - about them smiles being contagious and all that. Sarah Shaina said it's not only smiles from children but smiles from anyone, threw at us with a sincere heart that made the smiles contagious. I can't argue on this one as it reminds me about something happened last year:


I was walking down Willis Street, ears stuffed with earphones. Despite the busy crowd, I made my way through with heavy thoughts in my head about recent things that troubled my mind. Too deep in thoughts thinking about my problems, I couldn't help but frowned (When I recall this now, I remember a young girl whispered to her mum that I looked scary but the lady hushed the girl silent). Suddenly I bumped into two shabbily dressed guys. They were laughing and laughing as if they had no cares about the world. They noticed me and smiled my way but I ignored them.

Suddenly one of them approached me, putting his right thumb and forefinger together and placed it near my face closest to my lips. He gestured a signal: He moved his thumb and forefinger apart then moved the two fingers back together. He repeated this a few times but I just ignored him. Then he said, "Hey mate! Smile a bit, won't ya?" Out of respect (and because I wanted to get rid of 'em), I smiled to them and they left. From that point, I kept thinking about what the heck those two men wanted - diverted away from thinking too much about my problems - and I smiled at myself.



See, smiles are contagious. One smile originated from a sincere, happy heart can make other pouting lips curve too. A sincere smile comes from a happy heart. And a sincere smile can reach out to another heart with problems and helped to clear the cloggy clouds away. Perhaps that is the reason why I love to see other people smile, because by seeing them smiles will make me smile and forget my problems. I don't need alcohol or drugs to make me forget my problems and be happy. All I need is a sincere smile from a happy heart, and that is enough for me.

This is why I want to see smiles on everyone!

~p/s: This reminds me of a Malay song heard on TV when I was a kid.

Senyum seindah suria
Yang membawa cahya,
Senyumlah dari hati
Duniamu berseri.

Translated as:
A smile as beautiful as the sun
That brings about light,
Smile thee from thy heart
Merry your world will be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Senyum~ Waa... Sonok ye hafiz, dpt senyuman dari gadis kiwi

\(^o^)/

hafiz CHouJi said...

Eh sayang, mesti la sonok. Macam kalo kamu dapat senyuman dari Orlando Bloom la. Eheh~

mizzshaina said...

the kiwi guy really did that to you?? really? haha.. if it was me,i would be really scared thinking 'why the hell is he touching my face??. scream2!'

oh.btw, u do look scary when u dont smile. so smile a lot mate!=)

hafiz CHouJi said...

Eh, Sarah. He didn't touch me. But he made the gesture about an inch away from my face.

Actually I figured out what the heck he wanted with me: Smile. He wanted me to smile and rid of my worries. Eheh~

Owh. You think I look scary when I don't smile eh? Need to make sure I smile every time you're around then. But make sure you smile back eh? *wink*