Monday, January 11, 2010

The Joy of Teaching?

In the name of Allah who has written our destiny in the Divine Decree.


I heard from Unie that Madam Jun was looking for me on the day I skipped orientation. Madam Jun was our LDS (Language Description) lecturer and she is like our own mother. For students of Foundation 2.4, that is.

Today, we had a session wherein all Cohort 4 had the chance to mingle around with all our super juniors - the PISMP TESL students.

And today, by chance (as if), I stumbled upon Madam Jun.

We had one long chat, together with a few other former F2.4 students. We talked about many things - from how much everyone has changed to the many issues of teaching and also about the many "issues" regarding IPBA.

One of the most interesting topics we talked about was the experience of Madam Jun's student. One of her students was sent to a school in Gua Musang, somewhere quite rural for a city girl. She was a bit "unprepared" and was not really looking forward
to go there. And of course, Madam Jun was a bit worried about her.

Four months passed and the girl finished practicum, and she still went back to Gua Musang to see the kids she taught during practicum. Yes, she was in love with the kid. Yes, she was in love with that rural area she was so reluctant to go months before. And then came the time for posting. She was posted to a school in the city. Guess what was her comment after a month teaching there? The city school is not as fun as the "kampung" school. Yes, not even half the fun.

It is due to a number of factors: The environment and the kids for example, despite lacking in terms of facilities in comparison to city schools. People in rural areas are more friendly and kids there enjoy lessons more than city kids. Yes, teaching in rural areas gives teachers something which money cannot buy - it is the experience of being appreciated, and thus see the joy of teaching young souls the value of life and beyond, rather than pursuing only the "materialistic" side of education (if you understand what I mean. Heh).

This conversation took me back to the time when I was a student in secondary school. When I learnt English from Madam Aida who made me see the beauty of English, and indirectly changed my life. Yes, I was a kampung kid and I understand well about appreciating the person who made changes in my life.

And years ago when I decided to become an English teacher, I had one goal in my head: I want to change the lives of those in kampungs. I want them to see the beauty of English like what my teacher did to me, insyaAllah. :')


***********


"And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine; and if anyone puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is (Allah) for him." (QS 65:3)


Today, I want to thank Allah for the rizqi He gave me when I least expected it. I was fasting today and I forgot that we were going to have a small makan-makan during meeting with juniors, so I couldn't had the food provided. But alhamdulillah when I went to see Madam Jun, she had a lot of food to give away and the sardine rolls I took home was more than enough for breaking the fast.

Indeed, Allah has the Power to provide us provisions from sources we could have never imagined. :')



"O Allah! Spacious is Your earth and the provision You prepared for us humans, and never will decrease even the slightest bit from Your Source whatever You provided us with. Glory be to You, Lord of this World and the Hereafter."

No comments: