Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Simple Act of Kindness II

In the name of Allah, the Best Provider.


"Random acts of kindness -- they curve someone else's lips while leaving you feeling good inside."

Today, I went out to get my dinner from the stall near my hostel's guard post. It was drizzling when I went out, so I took my umbrella with me.

The food stall is always crowded with people especially around 6.30pm to 10pm at night. That is why I usually went to grab my dinner early. In fact, taking early dinner is good for our body as it lets our body, particularly our digestive system, to rest.

While I was waiting for my dinner, the rain started to change from drizzle to downpour. It was cold. And from a distance, I could see an Afghan man (an international student living in the new Block 7) with both hands holding bags full of groceries walking real fast under the pouring rain. The man had no umbrella and even if he had one, he got no extra hand to use it. He was soaked inside out.

Feeling empathetic as I know how that would feel, I rushed to him with my umbrella and shielded him from the rain. Well, you might as well say that there is no point in helping him as he was already soaked. But still, I felt so compelled to help without even thinking the reason why I should help him -- I just felt I had to, and I did help. It was a random act of kindness.

As I walked him to his block, we were having a simple conversation. He introduced himself as an Afghan lecturer from Afghanistan coming here to study English and to better himself in that area. He asked who am I (as in, my nationality which I answered I am a local) and where I live. Things like that. And we reached his block. He offered to share his dinner with me with a smile, but with a smile I kindly turned him down, saying: "It's okay, I was waiting for my dinner just now."

We shook hand. He said thank you as I left. He was smiling. And I was smiling, too, feeling good inside.

Happiness is doubled when shared.



So have you done any act of kindness today? Go and do something good to others -- help them, make them smile. You will feel good when you do.



"O Allah! Fill my heart with kindness."

No comments: