Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Unexpected, Yet Funny

In the name of Allah, the Best Planner.


Today is so full of unexpected-ness. If I were to direct a short drama, I'll call it "Series of Unexpected Events in SMKBJ."

Yes, some unexpected things happened to me at school today.


Event 1
My cooperating teacher observed me conducting a lesson today. It was Form 4 Cemerlang and I was teaching about depression among teenagers. As we were entering the production stage, I gave the students a group task. Every group received a role, e.g teacher, school, parents, friends, siblings; and they have to list down at least 3 things they can do to help a depressed teenager (Q: What can you do to help?).

Suddenly, a group of prefects barged in the classroom and interrupted my lesson (I was having an observation, remember?). I had to stop my lesson and gave in to the spot-check to be conducted. Who would have thought this to happen during an observation eh?

Here are some pictures I snapped during the spot-check:



And I lost about 20 minutes for this spot-check. But I still had about ten to fifteen more minutes left while the cooperating teacher already left during the check-up. So I continued my lesson. There were two hilarious things happened in that last minutes:

1) I found out that one of the things confiscated from the class is a bag full of underwear. Male boxers and underpants.I asked the students, "Why in goodness' name you have the underwear in your classroom?" They told me that it is their tradition. If it is your birthday, you will be vegi-ed (I think so because this is what I heard). Perhaps some kind of ritual people in college usually do to birthday boys, which we call as "rumble." Along with that, whatever underwear you wear on that day will be taken and kept together with other underwear of the previous birthday boys. Disgusting, but hilarious. Is it not?

. . . ah, I forgot to ask why they keep the underwear and what they will do with them. Perhaps I should ask later.


2) I burst out laughing together with the students during the last group's presentation. Let's see why:


Look at the students' answers. The first answer was written before the spot-check, while the rest were written after. Isn't this funny?

And owh, a boy from this group said this the moment the prefects went out, "So much for a spot-check . . . only wasting my precious time to learn English." I don't know whether he really meant it or simply complaining, but I was touched by his remark. Thank you, boy!


Event 2
During the abovementioned lesson, an Indian student which is one of the jokers in the classroom, out of the sudden said, "Teacher, ****** (a student's name) is a social rubbish. He is sampah masyarakat." when I was checking them doing the comprehension exercise I gave them. I was like . . . errr? But I laughed anyway. It was so sudden, it was too funny for me.


Event 3
After Form 4 Cemerlang, I went to teach Form 2 Gemilang about "Safety in Aeroplanes." It was a simulation-like listening activity: We pretended to be boarding an aeroplane and I played the role of a steward (though I showed the students picture of stewardess) while all the students are the passengers. I read out the instructions usually read before a plane takes off and students have to fill in the blanks on the handout I gave them. When we finished all the activities, that was when our "aeroplane" arrived at KLIA airport. The students had a lot of fun, but we finished earlier than time. So I let the students to rest and do their own work while not being too noisy.

While I was rubbing off the whiteboard, a student called out to me and said, "Teacher, I have a stupid question."

"How stupid it is?" I replied.

"Very stupid," he laughed. Then he showed me a scribble on a piece of paper and pointed at the word "what". I looked at him with a questioning look. And he said,

"Teacher, what is what?"

It was too sudden and unexpected that I remained silent for a few seconds before saying "apa" but he said, "No, in English." Seriously, I didn't know what to reply so I said I want to finish rubbing off the board while thinking for the answer. Then I went back to him to give the answer: "What" is the word used to ask a question. And we both laughed because I just realised that he was pulling a joke using the pun.


I guess that is all for this entry. I love being a teacher. :')



"O Allah! I thank You for showing me this path. Alhamdulillah wa syukrillah"

No comments: